Objectives – The objectives of the AIST Birmingham Member Chapter Scholarships are to reward and encourage AIST Birmingham Chapter area high school seniors or currently enrolled undergraduate students preparing for a career in engineering by providing a grant of financial support during full-time attendance at any accredited college or university.
Awards – One (1) one-year scholarship, valued at $2,000 will be available each year. The scholarship will be awarded to an AIST Birmingham Chapter area student based on the criteria the Scholarship Award Committee has developed. If there are no applicants in engineering, the award may be given to an eligible student studying other majors relating to iron and steel production.
Eligibility – Students are eligible to compete for the scholarships if, at the time of application, they are a current AIST member or the child (natural, step, adopted, or ward) or spouse of a member in good standing, of the AIST Birmingham Member Chapter. The student must be accepted in an eligible, full-time course of study in the field of engineering at an accredited college or university with a demonstrated interest toward a career in the iron and steel industry. The awards will be made without regard to financial need.
Selection – Scholarship applications will be reviewed by the Scholarship Award Committee.
- A current resume with work experience and any extracurricular activities, noting any leadership positions.
- An essay (Select One - 500 words or less):
- Describing one accomplishment you have made as a student.
- Describing your interest and/or involvement in the steel and iron industry.
- Why do you feel that you should receive this scholarship?
- Copy of SAT/ACT scores
- Copy of current high school or college transcripts
- Letters of Recommendation (3)
- The scholarship must be used at an accredited college or university.
- The student must start or be continuing in the course of study, at the college or university, in the fall of the same year the scholarship is awarded.
- The AIST Foundation will forward the scholarship stipend, as a lump sum, to the college or university for deposit in the account of the student.
- In cases where the student’s studies or admission are delayed or interrupted for any reason, the Scholarship Chair and Chapter Secretary (AIST Birmingham Member Chapter) must be advised immediately, and may result in forfeiture.
- Awardees may submit grades for review each year. Scholarship may be renewable each year, pending grade review.
Application Forms – Return the application along with attachments by 30 April.
AIST Birmingham Member Chapter Scholarships
c/o Benjamin Rankin
Mid Continent Coal & Coke Co.,
4000 Eagle Point Corporate Dr.
Birmingham, AL 35242