Golf Outing — August 2017
The AIST Northwest Member Chapter held a sold-out golf outing on Saturday, 5 August 2017, as 72 members and guests participated at The Golf Club at Hawks Prairie in Lacy, Wash., USA. The chapter appreciates the support of its participants and sponsors.
The winning foursome at the Northwest Member Chapter golf outing included (left to right): Matt Lackey, West Werks Automotive; Northwest Member Chapter chair Jim Peterson, Nucor Steel Seattle Inc.; Trevor Brown, Motion Industries; and Chad Hethcock, Nucor Steel Seattle Inc.
Golf Outing — August 2015
The AIST Northwest Member Chapter hosted its annual golf tournament on Saturday, 1 August 2015, at the Golf Club at Hawks Prairie Links course in Olympia, Wash., USA. The event was sold out again this year with 72 golfers. The winning team included Brent Hilden, Steve Vincent, Darrell Wheeler and Darryl Johnson from Nucor Steel Seattle Inc. The Northwest Member Chapter would like to acknowledge Chuck Farnam, refractory supervisor at Nucor Steel Seattle Inc., for organizing another successful event.
Western Conference — March 2014
The AIST Western Conference, a biennial meeting hosted by the AIST Northwest, San Francisco and Southern California Member Chapters, was held on Thursday, 27 March–Saturday, 29 March 2014 at the Westin Seattle in Seattle, Wash., USA. The event kicked off on Thursday, 27 March with a tour of the boutique wineries of Washington. Attendees gathered that evening for a vendor display and networking reception at the Westin Seattle.
On Friday, 28 March, technical presentations were held during the morning and afternoon and included:
• “Meltshop Baghouse Fan Blade Upgrade Project,” Mark Drymalla, Nucor Steel–Texas
• “CSI Safety and Voluntary Protection Programs,” Robbie Woods, California Steel Industries
• “Eliminating Falls Through Safety Partnerships,” Tony Clifford, Red Pointe Roofing
• “Improvements to Chemical Analysis,” Kelly Kurisu, Nucor Steel Seattle Inc.
• “Steel Mill Water Treatment Best Practices,” John Zora, Nalco Co.
• “Outside the Box — Rethinking the Traditional Reservoir,” Dan Helgerson, Cascade Steel Rolling Mills
• “The State of Filtration for Fluid Circuits in the Steel Industry,” Dale Hodge, HYDAC
• “The Steam Engine Creates the Next Industrial Revolution,” Bill Hunter, Airclean Technologies Inc.
• “Wipe Out — Automatic Jet Knife Wiping,” Marshall Hood, Steelscape LLC
• “LAP Gauge Performance at Nucor Steel Seattle,” Tudor Gheorghiu, Nucor Steel Seattle Inc.
• “Protective Relay Upgrades at Cascade Steel,” Tim Burttram, Cascade Steel Rolling Mills
• “R-Factor Practices by Rolling Mill Personnel,” Tracy Schutz, Nucor Steel Seattle Inc., and Joe Kennedy, Quad Engineering Inc.
• “‘CSI 86’” Hot Strip Mill Finish Mill Roll Cooling Upgrade,” Dan Krauss, California Steel Industries Inc.
• “Enabling Structures and Mechanisms in Nanostructured Advanced High-Strength Steel,” Andrew Frerichs, The NanoSteel Co.
That evening, a networking reception and vendor fair were held, followed by a dinner which included a keynote presentation by David Hodory, vice president of marketing and communications, the David J. Joseph Co.
On Saturday, 29 March, a tour was given of the Nucor Steel Seattle Inc. facilities. There were more than 90 attendees at the event. Special thanks to the sponsors, 14 exhibitors, presenters and all those who attended for supporting this event. The next Western Conference will be held in 2016 in Southern California.
Western Conference — March 2012
The AIST San Francisco, Northwest and Southern California Member Chapters joined together for the biannual AIST Western Conference. This year’s event was hosted by the San Francisco Member Chapter. The event was held on 1–2 March 2012 at the Marriott San Francisco Union Square in sunny San Francisco, California. There were 73 full conference attendees.
The event opened on Thursday, 1 March with a golf outing at the Harding Park Golf Course, which hosted 52 golfers. There was also a plant tour at USS-POSCO Industries in Pittsburg, Calif., with 25 attendees. A welcome reception was held that evening and featured vendor exhibits from 17 participating companies. Friday’s program opened with a gathering in the vendor display area for breakfast. After breakfast, technical paper sessions were held and lasted through the afternoon. Eight technical papers were presented from USS-POSCO Industries, AirClean Technologies, Nucor Steel Seattle Inc. and California Steel Industries. That evening, a dinner was held and featured a keynote presentation by Christopher Thornberg, founding partner of Beacon Economics. Mr. Thornberg’s presentation was entitled, “Recovering From the Recovery.” Also at the dinner, the AIST Reliability Achievement Silver Award was presented to USS-POSCO Industries by Colleen Reeves, chair of AIST’s Maintenance & Reliability Technology Committee. John Cox accepted the award. AIST Executive Director Ron Ashburn was also in attendance and gave a brief overview of AISTech 2012 — The Iron & Steel Technology Conference and Exposition. The San Francisco Member Chapter would like to thank the sponsors, attendees, vendors and presenters who helped make this year’s event a success. The Northwest Member Chapter will host the next Western Conference in 2014.